Salalah Methanol Company's 3rd Annual Stakeholder Dinner
Salalah Methanol Company held its third annual stakeholder dinner last Wednesday under the patronage of His Excellency Dr. Mohammed bin Hamad Al Rumhy, Minister of Oil and Gas and the presence of a number of dignitaries and general managers in the region. The aim of this gathering is to maintain the Company's efforts in its ongoing quest to embody the true partnership between the public sector and the private sector in order to continue outreaching to the local community.
On this occasion, Awadh bin Hassan Al Shanfari, Managing Director of Salalah Methanol Company started the ceremony with a speech in which he welcomed His Excellency Dr. Al Rumhy, and the guests. Then he gave a brief introduction about the Company and its achievements in the fields of economy, society and environment since the commencement of the Company's production process in May 2010.
Al Shanfari explained that the achievements over the past years reflect the efficiency of the Company's employees and their commitment to the standards and measures of sound production and the foundations of health and safety at work. This reflects the ability of the Omani work forces in doing business efficiently. The Company achieved 64% Omanisation in a short period relatively, and this comes within the efforts made by the Company to support the government's efforts to develop human resources in the Sultanate.
He added, that Salalah Methanol Company through its CSR programs has supported and funded a number of initiatives in the areas of education, training linked with employment, health, sports, youth, and government and non-government civil organizations. The Company also funded more than 100 CSR initiatives with the cost of 8 million US dollars focusing on the areas of building human capacity, social affairs and sponsorships and donations.
On the sidelines of this occasion, the Company signed eight agreements related to SMC's initiatives in corporate social responsibility funded by the Company to support many development projects and programs. The agreements were signed by the Managing Director of Salalah Methanol Company, Hassan bin Awadh Al Shanfari, in this sequence:
1. On behalf of the Oman Charitable Organization, Salalah Branch, HE Abdullah bin Aqeel Al Ibrahim, Acting Deputy of Dhofar and Chairman of the local committee of Oman Charitable Organization, signed the agreement that consisted of funding a number of education scholarships for individuals from social insurance.
2. On behalf of the Public Authority for Craft Industries, Mr. Ahmed bin Saleh Al Farsi, the Head of the Chairperson of the Public Authority’s Office for Craft Industries signed the agreement that consisted of funding a training program for local individuals in weaving.
3. On behalf of the Oman Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Sheikh Abdullah bin Salim Al Rawas, Chairman of the Dhofar Branch of the Chamber signed the agreement that consisted of establishing incubators for entrepreneurs in the Salalah Gardens Mall and various Willayats in Dhofar.
4. On behalf of the General Directorate of Social Development, Mr. Abdullah bin Sulaiman Al Sabai, General Director of the General Directorate of Social Development, signed two agreements that consisted of funding specialized medical equipment for individuals with disabilities, and funding basic home essentials for social insurance families.
5. On behalf of the Directorate General for Education, Mr. Hamad bin Khalfan Al Rashdi, General Director of the General Directorate of Education, signed the agreement that consisted of funding a program to develop students’ academic levels in the neighboring schools.
6. On behalf of the Directorate General of Sports Affairs Mr. Mousa bin Ahmed Al Mashali, General Director of the General Directorate of Sports Affairs in Dhofar, signed the agreement that consisted of funding youth summer sports activities in Dhofar for 2016.
7. On behalf of the Bahja Association for Orphans, Mr. Abdulrab bin Salim Al Yafai, Chairman of the Bahja Association, signed two agreements that consisted of funding a cooling truck for distributing food supplies to orphaned families, and funding training 10 orphans in the International IATA Diploma Program
On this occasion, Awadh bin Hassan al Shanfari, Managing Director of Salalah Methanol Company said the Company believes in the importance of supporting the development of the local community through funding many Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives and projects. The Company also focuses through its programs on building and developing human capacity, which aim to positively develop Omani citizens and enable them to give back to their country.
He added that these agreements reflect the true partnership between the public and private sectors to work together and complement each towards a better Oman, and that the Company is moving forward with God's help to support and fund CSR initiatives, which are focused on the advancement of the overall development of the country.
It is worth mentioning that Salalah Methanol Company LLC (SFZ) was incorporated in 2006 and is one of the investments of Oman Oil Company S.A.O.C. SMC owns and operates a plant for the production of methanol, with a production capacity of 3,000 metric tons per day. It commenced commercial operations in May 2010.